Thursday, August 12, 2010

Letter to the Playground Mom

Dear Lady at the Playground today,

Could you please stop texting on your phone and push your little boy on the swing? He begged and begged you. Your friend came with her two little ones, and you were wrapped up in a conversation with her. All he wanted was for you to pay attention to him for a bit. I hope when you yelled at him to "Shut up!" that it didn't break his spirit. I wish you would have seen him come to me, talking to me, happy to have someone speak to him with kindness and interest. I hope whatever it was you were doing was truly urgent. And little boy, if you come back to play, I will be happy to push you on the swing until your spirit soars.

Best,
Kara

3 comments:

In-Sung said...

I see that many times... I regretfully admit that I had texted on my cell while pushing mine too. Sigh....

Foster Mama said...

Let's just hope the next stranger he approaches has pure intentions!

Anonymous said...

You know when my children were young i would often see parents sitting out with their children but not engaging with them. They would be talking on the phone , kissing their husband etc. The child would be playing all alone and come over and talk to me and play with my kids. i like the fact that you bought that out! KOODOS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!